September 20, 2020

Update on Covid-19 concerns in Maesteg

Bridgend County Borough Council has confirmed a number of actions since public concerns were raised that an individual displaying possible symptoms of Covid-19 had been visiting bars and premises in the Maesteg area.

It was widely reported on social media and later in national news coverage that the individual had visited a number of local shops and premises after returning from a holiday in Zante.

All affected businesses in Maesteg have been contacted and provided with appropriate advice, with several of them organising precautionary ‘deep cleans’ and undertaking further appropriate action designed to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.

Officers from the Shared Regulatory Service have been to all licenced premises which were reported as having been visited by the individual, and have offered support and information.

The premises have also been inspected to ensure they are maintaining up-to-date customer contact details, which are essential for any subsequent track-and-trace activities to remain effective.

Council Leader Huw David said: “I’d like to thank the businesses and licensed premises in Maesteg who have acted responsibly and have taken swift action to protect their customers and help prevent the spread of the virus.

“I cannot stress enough how important it is for licensed premises to maintain efficient, accurate contact details for their customers, and to take all reasonable steps to ensure that social distancing is in place.

“The Shared Regulatory Service is carrying out regular checks, and we will not hesitate to take further action against any premises that opts to ignore this requirement, including enforcement action and the serving of prohibition notices.

“While this episode has had a significant impact upon a number of businesses, I can confirm that local schools have not been affected, and that they will reopen for the new term as planned.

“All passengers who were on the TUI flight to Wales from the Greek island have already been told to self-isolate and undergo urgent testing, and the council and its partners will continue to investigate the claims and provide further advice, guidance and support wherever necessary.

“Businesses who have been affected by this incident can contact the Shared Regulatory Service for further advice.

“In the meantime, residents of Bridgend County Borough Council should continue to remain alert for symptoms of Covid-19, ensure that they follow national guidance, and if necessary take prompt action to help combat the spread of the virus.”

To arrange a free coronavirus test, visit www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test or call the free number, 119.